Thursday, January 17, 2008

New Pizza Sauce

Due to many allergies and health issues in our family, I've been re-doing some of my recipes. One that I just did yesterday was pizza. Needed to come up with a pizza sauce with no tomatoes, and toppings that didn't include pepper. So borrowing the hamburger sausage recipe from my neighbor Pegi (thanks Pegi!)- and making a spinach pesto it turned out really well. Here is the recipe:

1. Brown 1/2 lb hamburger with 1 T fennel, 1 tsp of dried oregano, and 1 tsp of basil (or adjust to taste). Also add a bit of salt, 1/2 chopped onion, and 1 clove of garlic, minced. Drain well. Can be made up ahead of time and refrig. or frozen until ready.
2. In a food processor add: 4 cups of firmly pressed fresh spinach leaves, 1 clove of garlic, 1 T basil (or 1/2 cup fresh if you have it), little bit of salt, Process until coarsely chopped. Then drizzle 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil in until mixture is finely chopped. Then blend, by hand, 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese. Mix well. This can also be made ahead of time and stand in the refrig. This can also be frozen.
3.Make up your favorite pizza dough- we use one for the bread machine and add Italian seasoning to it for more flavor. When it is done with the first rising, punch down, and divide into 2. Roll each out into a circle to fit your pan. Cover and let rise 30 min. in a warm place. (turn oven on to warm, turn off and place dough in oven).
4. Divide the spinach pesto between the two crusts, divide the hamburger mixture between the two pizzas, then add sliced onion, sliced mushrooms, feta cheese and grated parmesan cheese.
5. Wrap foil around the edges to keep from over cooking. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15-20 min. Let cool about 5 min before serving.
6. Enjoy!! Refrig. any leftover pizza for breakfast or lunch! (if there is any)

One thing that I am in search of is a salad dressing. The key is that is cannot have any citrus, vinegar, tomato, pepper of any kind, nuts, soy or mayonaise. It also must be homemade, as many of the preservatives are a problem. If anyone can help out I would truly appreciate it.

I have also been packing. I am headed for my brother's cabin next week to sew, read and play cards with my parents. Molly will be holding down the fort for everyone here. Auntie E will keep her belly fed during the day and daddy will keep her belly rubbed at night...
I should have lots to talk about when I get back as I will be offline until then. No phone, no internet, no tv... quiet.
see you later and I hope you get a chance to try the pizza
Cheryl

No comments: