Monday, September 29, 2008

Ready for Chili?

It's getting to be chili weather. I am making up a pot this afternoon and I thought I would share my recipe with you. I love this one as it is a total harvest veggie chili and I don't mind not having meat at all. See what you think. Let me know. If you have a favorite chili recipe I'd love to know about it.
Garden Chili
Makes 5 qts
3T corn or safflower oil
3 large onions, chopped
3 zucchini, sliced
1 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
2-3 leeks, cleaned and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1T chili powder
2tsp mustard seed
1tsp cumin
¼ tsp cardamom, ground
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 (20 oz each) cans diced tomatoes
1 (16 oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 cup beer or water
1T vinegar
1T light brown sugar
3 cans (16oz each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

GARNISH: Your choice
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Plain yogurt
Green onions, sliced
Salsa
Tomatoes, chopped
Lettuce, shredded
Tortilla chips, lightly crushed
Green chilies, chopped

Heat oil in large kettle over low heat. Add onions, zucchini, mushrooms, leeks, garlic, and spices. Saute for several minutes. Add diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, beer, vinegar, brown sugar and kidney beans. Cook over low heat for 45 – 60 minutes or until thickened.
Ladle chili into soup bowls. Garnish as you choose.
Makes 10-12 servings. I think I figured a serving was 1 2/3 cups- 2 cups depending on whether you base it on 10 or 12 servings. (5qts=20cups)
If you are following Weight Watchers this is 4 points per serving, without any garnishes.
Calories:262; fat5.6gram;

No comments: