Sunday, September 7, 2008

Crocheting

Lion Brand Yarn is having a Crochet Along and is crocheting a sampler aghan. I thought that with my limited skills, this would be fun to do. There are only 3 different blocks involved and you make 10 of each and then sew them together. After that you add a border to it. It will make a nice throw. I chose to do mine a little denser than the pattern calls for, so it will be a bit warmer. I also chose dark colors- block 1 is a "print" a varigated purple, gray & dark blue. Block 2 is dark purple and block 3 will be dark blue. The border/trim I plan to do in the print. Total of 30 blocks. I have the first set of 10 complete and 3 of block 2 done. It's going together nicely. Much easier than learning to knit.
My knitting leaves much to be desired. I am still having trouble getting my head wrapped around what my hands should be doing. Most things like this have come easy-but for some reason knitting has been difficult. We do have a brand new yarn shop opening up here in town in about another week. I may check into seeing if they are going to have beginner classes.
I have talked to my granddaughter, Cozy, several times lately. She called me the other day very excited and pleased with herself. Seems that they all have to memorize their student ID numbers as they need to know them for the cafeteria, the library and other things. Now, this is not a short 3 or 4 digit number. But she had it memorized in just a few minutes and the number ends with "enter", just like you would enter it into the computer. Her mother re-enforces it around the house to help her remember it. I think she did remarkable well for an autistic 5 year old. She is loving school and always has lots to tell me when we talk.
My mother's packing is coming along. We spent 3 whole days just packing fabric. There is still some left-but that is current stuff she's working on. We'll tackle that later. We mainly wanted to get the sewing room done. Our goal on Thurs was to find the closet door. We did. We didn't open it-but we did get there. For now all the boxes are stuffed in the livingroom. You have to peer around them to see the tv. This next week is a busy week for both of us- so I won't go back over there until the end of the week. One find was her composition book from her 6th period sewing class in Jr High. It was full of samples of sewing, embroidery and fabric. That was fun to look at. All that fabric was original then- reproductions now!
Hope you are having a good weekend,
Cheryl

1 comment:

Anita said...

Glad to hear you are having fun with the challenge. You'll have to post pictures. I like the colors you chose. One of these days (soon I Hope) I will be able to get back to doing some sewing and knitting.